There are many types of security systems ranging from simple ones to extremely complex integrated systems. This makes choosing the right home security system an overwhelming and difficult task. You will need to pick and choose the security components and decide if you want to opt for a professional service provider.
What are home security systems and why should you consider them?
Home security system is beyond a monitoring device. It is an intricate system of components installed to monitor and protect your home at all times. The entire system is more important than the individual components and each component has a unique functionality.
There are many compelling reasons to get a reliable security system installed in your property to monitor and protect it. Here are some of those:
- Protect your home from intruders
- Protect your pets and family
- Protect your belongings and valuables
- Protect your home from gas leaks and fires
- Keep an eye on your home remotely
Types of home security systems
When you pick up the subject of home security, you will realize that there several options available. Depending on your unique security needs, your locality and your budget, your options will be numerous. Knowing about all types of systems will help you make the right choice while weighing in all factors. All security systems can fall into three categories:
- Professionally installed and monitored system: The most popular home security system is one that is installed by a professional company.
- They are installed by professionally trained technicians. Therefore, they work as per the specifications and properly test the system.
- They are backed by insurances and the company claims to offer the highest level of security. The companies try and stick to their claim and hence offer warranties and replacement guarantees.
- You get maintenance packages and discounts on the monitoring fees.
Just like everything, there is another side to the story, there are some drawbacks like limitation of customization and slightly higher cost.
- Professionally monitored and self-installed system: There is a growing demand for systems that homeowners install on their own. There are specially designed packages for self-installation.
- Installing a system on your own helps you save some money.
- You have the flexibility to do the installation as per your convenience
- You know your home the best and hence you can make adjustments as per your personal needs.
Some disadvantages of these security systems are that you have no professional assistance, the installation completely depends on you, there can be consequences like the company may claim a faulty installation as a reason for any malfunction in the future.
- Self-monitored and self-installed system: A fully DIY system is also an option. In this one you buy the system, you install it and you are responsible for monitoring it. With the advancement in technology these systems have improved.
Self-monitoring is a preferred choice of homeowners living in a gated community. In busy neighborhood and homes that are always monitored a DIY system is a good option. However, in localities where crime rate is already high or your home or your neighbor’s home was invaded recently, such a system will not be the best choice.
The distance from emergency responders is another factor. If you are staying alone and you are the one hurt or at risk and you have a self-monitored system, then who will contact the emergency service like fire, police or ambulance.
Before you choose between security systems, you must make a simple list of components you need. Here are some important ones to consider:
- Control unit
- Alarm system
- Smoke detectors
- Water and fire sensor